We all know that plastic is bad for the planet and that we should be trying to reduce our plastic usage, but is it really possible to cut down on the amount of plastic waste in our beauty regime?
Luckily, there are an ever-growing number of beauty manufacturers that are actively doing their bit to reduce plastic waste and create more ethically responsible products and packaging. We are very proud to say that our Salt of the Earth crystal deodorants are completely plastic free and that the bottles we use are all recyclable. However we are also in the process of switching our 100ml plastic spray bottles to a more sustainably sourced type of plastic which is made from 50% recycled plastic & 50% bio plastic. Additionally, the introduction of our 500ml refill bottles helped to reduce plastic waste even further.
So what can you do to reduce your beauty plastic waste? Here are our top 10 tips:
- Swap your Liquid Soap for a Bar of Soap – Whilst the last few years has seen most households make the switch to liquid soap, this has caused a huge rise in plastic waste. So switching back to a good old bar of soap could significantly reduce your plastic waste.
- Swap your bottled Shampoo & Conditioner for Bars - Just like soap, shampoo & conditioner can now be bought in bar form from a number of high street stores.
- Use Plastic Free Products where possible – Many companies are now able to offer completely plastic free options for certain products, as Salt of the Earth do with our crystal deodorant.
- Look for the Recycling Logo on Packaging – When you do have to buy plastic products, check to make sure the packaging is 100% recyclable plastic like as our deodorant bottles. Remember not all plastic is equal!
- Use Refillable Products where possible – As with our deodorants, an ever-increasing number of beauty products are now available in large refill containers. Not only does it reduce your plastic waste, but it will usually save you money as well!
- Swap face wipes for Re-useable Cloths – Most standard face wipes, makeup remover wipes and baby wipes are made from non-biodegradable plastic fibers. Washable make-up remover pads and cloths are readily available on the high street.
- Use Biodegradable Wipes – On the odd occasion where it isn’t convenient to use washable cloths instead of wipes, make sure that the wipes you do buy are biodegradable. There are several brands now available.
- Swap your Plastic Toothbrush for a Bamboo Toothbrush – Many shops now sell toothbrushes with bamboo handles, which are a far more eco friendly than traditional plastic handled brushes.
- Swap Toothpaste for Tooth Cleaning Tablets – Plastic toothpaste tubes are another contributor to the ever-growing plastic mountain, so tooth cleaning tablets that come in non-plastic packaging are a great alternative.
- Swap Disposable Plastic Razors for Reusable Metal ones – Whilst they may be slightly more convenient, disposable plastic razors can create an enormous amount of damaging plastic waste, so switching to a reusable metal one is a great way to do your bit.
Why not try our Salt of the Earth Plastic Free Crystal Deodorant? While the deodorant itself is the same as our Salt of the Earth Classic deodorant, it comes in a cardboard box instead of a plastic case. Ideal for people looking to avoid plastic packaging! Our crystal deodorants work by leaving an invisible layer of mineral salt on the skin which work to inhibit the growth of odour causing bacteria.
If you want to understand more about why plastic is so bad for the environment and how it is causing our oceans such a problem, check out this article in the Independent: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/plastic-bad-environment-why-ocean-pollution-how-much-single-use-facts-recycling-a8309311.html